ULTIMATE Caring Guide for Sterling Silver Jewelry
Routine caring is essential to keep your precious Sterling Silver Jewelry shimmering and long-lasting.
Are you obsessed with the brilliant shine and glamour of sterling silver jewelry? Have you ever felt annoyed when your silver jewelry get dull after usage?
Well, you are not alone, and we are here to help.
Follow the ULTIMATE Sterling Silver Jewelry Caring Guide below and your jewelry will shine like new ones.
Table of Contents
What are the differences between .925 Silver and .950 Silver?
The numbers represent the content of silver in your jewelry. For instant, .925 Silver jewelry is made of 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper, the presence of copper is to increases the hardness of the products.
The caring advice for the above two types of silvers is listed below.
- .950 Silver: requires constant polishing
- .925 Silver: does not require much cleaning, just wiping it will be enough
Why sterling silver tarnishes?
Before introducing our caring guide for your precious jewelry, it is also important for you to know the reason for sterling silver tarnishing. Tarnishing is simply the result of the chemical reaction of the silver with oxygen or sulfur particles and contaminants in the air. If you find that your jewelry are not as shiny as they were when newly bought or they are darkened, then your silver is tarnished. You can follow some easy steps introduced below to make them shine again.
Things that sterling silver should not contact with
- Note: Purified water would not damage sterling silver, but the water we are constantly exposing to in our daily lives is not pure water. The chemicals and contaminants will damage your silver jewelry and make them look dull.
- Shower: It is not suggested to shower with your silver jewelry on and be sure to dry them completely after contact with water.
- Swimming Pool: The chlorine present in the swimming pool water is harmful to silver, make sure you rinse your jewelry if in contact with it.
- Hot Tub: the reason behind is the same as a swimming pool but worse, the hot temperature will boost chemical reaction.
- Hot Spring: Sulphur is present in most the hot springs and your silver will result in a dark oxidized look if in contact with sulfur for a short period.
- Lotions and perfumes: There are a lot of chemicals in these products. It is advised that you apply them first and let them dry before wearing your silver jewelry.
Daily Wearing Tips
- Wear them often: The natural oil on your skin acts as a protective shield that prevents silver from tarnishing
- Put them on last: Apply all the lotions or perfumes during your get ready session and wear your jewelry last
How to store sterling silver properly?
You may think it is annoying to store your accessories appropriately every day when you are wearing them daily. However, air exposure will tarnish your stunning pieces over time. So do not just leave them on the desk overnight and you must be diligent when it comes to silver storage.
- Store silver individual: do not mix with your other gold or diamond jewelry and it’s best if you can store each jewel individually
- Air-tight bag: prevent air exposure
- Anti-tarnish properties
- Unclasp and unhook the jewelry to prevent potential scratching
- Keep in a cool and dark place
Do not store in the paper, cardboard, or cotton-filled boxes
- Store jewelry with chalk: the chalk can help to absorb the moisture in the air to prevent tarnishing.
- Use silica packs: you can find silica packs when buying new clothes or shoes. They are helpful in absorbing moisture too.
- Anti-tarnish cloth: line your jewelry box with anti-tarnish cloth. These cloths can absorb sulfur and moisture from the air and are designed to prevent tarnishing on sterling silver.
When to take off the jewelries?
Besides the things that silver jewelry should not contact with that are listed above, there are some occasions that may tarnish the brilliant shine on your jewelry. After all, preventive measures are always easier than recovering damaged silver.
- Household work (dishes, laundry or when contacting with cleaning supplies)
- During exercise
- When showering or bathing
- Swimming, hot springs, saunas
- Long sunlight exposure (beach, pool)
- Getting ready (applying lotions, makeups, perfumes…)
Quick Cleaning Guide
- Can simply rub it with a simple microfibre cloth or special jewelry cloth
- Preferably using a long up-and-down rub
- Use a different parts of the cloth to avoid contaminating other parts
- DO NOT use circle motion (it can worsen the dirt or tarnishing part)
DIY Silver Cleaner
There are always times that you are still looking for a greater shine after correctly polishing your shimmering jewelry. You can check the following natural cleaning methods for some references.
Water and Baking Soda
- Mix 2 parts of water with 1 part of baking soda and stir into a paste
- Apply the paste with the help of an old toothbrush or cleaning wand
- Remember to use a gentle motion when applying paste to avoid damages
Dish Liquid and Water
- Rinse the jewelry like you are washing your own hands
- Find a large basin and cover it with aluminum foil
- Combine 1 cup of boiling water with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Pour the mixture into the basin with your jewelry in it
- Add half a cup of vinegar to the mixture
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes and rinse off with water
- Dry the jewelry off completely before storage
All in all, keeping your silver jewelry shimmering is a daily task. Remember, prevention is always easier than undoing the damage.
Diligence is the key to proper jewelry care and maintenance. If you follow our caring guide, sterling silver care would be super easy, and your silver jewelry will shine like new ones every day.
Share This Post Now
35 Snake Rings That Make You Look Cool As Hell
Even people are eager to wear these amazing snake rings on their fingers…
27 Best Dragon Rings For Dragon Lovers
Speaking of animals, how about dragons? Dragon rings are cool, pretty, and most importantly, unique……
Best Unicorn Slippers For Your Loved Ones
To look cute, the unicorn slippers are a solid and convenient accessory……
These 31 Dragon Necklaces Will Make You Shine
Dragon necklaces are very rare to find. If you are looking for the best one……
25 Best Elephant Rings In 2021
Elephant rings can be great gifts for your nearest and dearest. The symbolism behind these rings……
ULTIMATE Caring Guide for Sterling Silver Jewelry
Routine caring is essential to keep your precious Sterling Silver Jewelry shimmering and long-lasting……